Providence Zen Center holds at least one retreat every month, of varying durations. Participation in a retreat is a time to investigate your life closely. This experience can bring about a clearer, more compassionate direction, and more harmonious relationships within all aspects of life.
Retreat Center Programs
- One Day Retreats – consist of sitting and walking meditation from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm followed by an informal meal. Includes kong-an teaching interviews with a zen teacher. There is an orientation at 8:45 am for first-time retreat members.
- Christian-Buddhist retreat – Christians and Buddhists can use very similar techniques of contemplative prayer and meditation to help make their spiritual teachings a living part of their daily existence.
- Kyol Che retreats – Kyol Che retreats are held twice a year for 90 days in the winter (typically January through March) and 27 days in the summer (in August).
- Yong Maeng Jong Jin – Yong Maeng Jong Jin retreats are two, three or seven days long and are held in silence.
- Kido chanting retreats – Kido chanting retreats consist primarily of chanting from 9:00am to 3:00pm.
- Solo Retreats can also be arranged on the property – for one to one hundred days using a schedule set by your guiding teacher.
Unless specified, retreats costs are as follows:
- $65/day for non-members and associate members;
- $45/day for students, clergy and school members;
- $35/day for Dharma Teachers and Dharma Teachers in training in the Kwan Um School of Zen.
Retreat participants can also stay at the zen center for one night (either before or after the retreat) at no additional charge.
Participants should register at least 48 hours in advance (one week for kyol che retreats). Beginners are very welcome. Please contact the Zen Center for more information.
To register for your retreat online – fill out the retreat registration form.